We’re waiting for you with the room open
Every year, PARADISE AIR has held the LONGSTAY Program under various themes and with different application requirements. In the 9th edition of the program, importance is not only placed on the time artists spend in Matsudo. Attention will also be given to the artists’ impressions of Matsudo in the time margin before and after their arrival.
Seeking to make connections between resident artists and the generous and receptive culture of Matsudo that sustains PARADISE AIR, we are waiting with the doors to artists’ rooms wide open—even if traveling to Matsudo becomes difficult in practice.
This program is open to applicants based in Japan and overseas. We welcome applications from people currently residing in Japan. In addition, the outcome of the residency can take tangible or intangible form. Applications are widely accepted not only from artists but also from curators, researchers and other practitioners in related fields. Please apply with your ideas by
December 25th【New】January 8th.
[Updated on Dec. 10] This residency program is held combining an e-Residence (online) and a residence (in Matsudo).
Selected artists may conduct online research and research/production in Matsudo as a series of their projects. Resident rooms will be kept for those even if they are unable to arrive in Japan during the residence term due to COVID-19 status.
2. An Idea
While considering the contents of the LONGSTAY Program 2020-21, I read the book “Philosophy of Decomposition”* by Tatsushi Fujihara (agricultural history researcher, Associate Professor at the Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University) after a friend recommended it to me. In Chapter 6, “Aesthetics of Repair: Mend, Unravel, Perform,” I learned there is a theory about the Kanji character for “time” (時: pronounced “toki” in Japanese) that suggests it is a mutation of the character signifying “unravel” (解く: pronounced “toku”). This is the notion that time is not something that accumulates in intervals shared between “I” and “you.” Rather, time unravels when “I” think about “you,” leading to the occurrence of time.
Attempting to be conscious of “unraveling time” was an idea I thought would be enjoyable for this LONGSTAY Program, so I shared it here. We may or may not meet in person between August and November 2021. While at present it is difficult to make promises to realize actions, PARADISE AIR will be leaving its schedule and rooms open, and we might as well listen to music while we wait.
*In the confusion caused by the coronavirus pandemic, this book has provided us at PARADISE AIR with clues about how to grasp the time and place in which we coexist with you. Since only a Japanese version has been published, we welcome those applying to expand their imaginations without reading the book.
|2020||Nov. 25 (Wed)||Opencall commences|
【New】Jan. 8th (Fri)
|2021||Jan. – Mar.||Selection period|
|Feb. 3 (Tue)||Selected finalists contacted individually
Finalists will be asked to submit a video letter explaining their plans, which will later be posted on the PARADISE AIR website following selection.
|Feb. 19 (Fri)||【1】Deadline for submitting video letter|
|2021||Mar. 16 (Tue)||Announcement of selected artists on the website|
|Mar. 20 (Sat)||【2】Online event
Selected artists will present their residency proposals.
|April – May||【3】e-Residence
All contents will be held online. Online meetings with selected artists will be arranged when required for their research.
|May 29 (Sat)||【4】Online event
Presentation of activities undertaken during the e-Residence
|Aug. – Nov.||【5】Residence
We are waiting for you with the room open.
A residency of up to 90 days is possible during this period.
*90 days includes the quarantine period of 14 days set by the Japanese government
(not applicable to residents of Japan)
Approx. 3 artists (or artist groups)
※Artist groups or units can also apply. If selected, one room will be reserved for each artist group or unit.
5. Applicant Conditions
Applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Enjoy engaging in dialogue with the town
- Currently living and working as an artist (pursuing creative activities and research as an artist, and able to hold lectures and symposiums related to their practice for their peers)
- Be willing and able to engage in genuine cultural exchange with regional artists and local residents during the term of residency
- Be in good physical and mental health
- Be able to participate in programs【1-4】outlined above
- Be able to positively manage program 【5】 above in accordance with travel and immigration conditions
- Have flexibility regarding program scheduling, rules, and administration.
- Be able to conduct everyday life in Japanese and/or English
6. Program Support Package
Selected artists may conduct online research and research/production in Matsudo below as a series of their projects. *The numbers correspond to the numbers in the ‘3.Schedule.’
【1 and 2】Selection/Presentation of Proposals
- Production costs of video letter: ¥30,000 per group (limited to finalists, payable only via Paypal, inclusive of handling fees)
- Organization of online symposium (only selected artists)
【3 and 4】e-Residence（April-May 2021)
- Assistance with research relating to proposals
- Support to realize online exchanges with citizens
- Organization of online symposium
- Costs associated with publicity
【5】Residence（maximum of 90 days between Aug.-Nov. 2021)
- Accommodation (PARADISE AIR)
- Transportation for one round trip from the artist’s place of residence to Matsudo (while transportation for artists living in Japan is not limited to one round trip, a maximum limit applies for total transportation costs)
- ¥200,000 for production costs per group (payable in cash or via Paypal only, inclusive of handling fees)
- Costs associated with equipment and transportation of artwork
- Arrangement of venues for the presentation of work and coordination of events
- Local support for daily life and production of work
- Costs associated with publicity
- Copyright and ownership of any work created during the program will remain that of the artist.
- PARADISE AIR retains the right to photograph and film all events, performances, workshops, and exhibitions conducted by the artist for the duration of the program.
- We request full cooperation during all media coverage, as well as for coverage made by our staff and sponsors.
- We kindly ask that applicants plan to participate in the program with their own health insurance. PARADISE AIR is not able to serve as an insurer or guarantor.
- While we generally accommodate artists and/or groups who come to Matsudo alone, we welcome applications from those who hope to bring along their partner and/or children. Please indicate clearly in the application if you wish to do so.
8. Application Details
Please fill in the following form to enroll in the selection process. (Japanese or English).
* An Email will be sent to you automatically from Google confirming your enrollment. Please be sure to verify receipt of this email.
Please download the “Application Format” folder from the link below, and place corresponding documents into respective files A. Application Form, B. Portfolio, and C. Passport (scanned data). (Japanese or English)
Details of Application documents (data limit: 20MB maximum)
A: Application Form
・Please complete the Form in full following the prescribed format. (Japanese or English)
・Submit your portfolio (up to 3 works) as a PDF file. It will be viewed in A4 size (210×297 mm).
・For video and/or music works, please upload the data to Youtube, Vimeo, Soundcloud or other such media platforms, including the URL link in the text file.
*You cannot submit the original data via email.
・When sending video works via a file sharing service on the Internet, please make sure to set the password as PARADISE.
・A scanned copy of your passport with your name and photo clearly visible.
・In the case of artist groups or units, please include scanned copies for each member.
Please upload the folder containing all materials from Step 2 to the following link:
- Name the folder “your_artist_name” (ex. Test_Paradise).
- Please verify that the file size does not exceed the data limit of 20MB.
- Application deadline:
December 25th (Fri)→【New】January 8th (Fri) 24:00 (JST)
[Updated on Dec. 10] When you upload the folder, please refer below.
If you upload many times and/or some separate files on Dropbox, staff members won’t be able to accept your application stuff. We appreciate your cooperation for our careful selection process.
After the upload is completed, you will receive the following email from Dropbox.
The application process is now complete. Thank you for your hard work!
* PARADISE AIR will send a confirmation email after the application deadline to applicants enrolling in step 1 who have incomplete applications. If you do not receive a confirmation email by January 15th, your application has been successfully accepted.
9. Selection / Notification
- A committee of local residents and external judges will determine the best applicant from the submitted materials.
- Those who pass the first screening will be contacted individually by February 3rd.
- For the second screening (final judgement), we will also ask you to submit a video letter (max. 2 minutes) introducing yourself and your proposal.
- Deadline for submitting video letters: February 19th
- Videos can be made using a smartphone. Emphasis is given to the content of proposals rather than video quality
- All video letters will be made public on the PARADISE AIR website following the result of selections.
- Support for production costs of video letters will be provided to all finalists
- Finalists will be notified individually of the selection results by the end of February.
- Selection results will be made public on the PARADISE AIR website on March 16.
If you would like to make an inquiry, feel free to contact us. Please note that we are unable to respond to any inquiries regarding the selection process.
Please refer to the links below before contacting us.
Matsudo Information: https://www.paradiseair.info/opencall#matsudo-info
Frequently Asked Questions: http://paradiseair.info/opencall#faq
Affiliates: Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology, Matsudo City Hall
Organizing body: PAIR
Special support: Hamatomo Kanko Co., Ltd.
Best of luck!